I promised a few people that I would post a recipe this week — the recipe of interest is a healthy pizza casserole. The core of the recipe is spaghetti squash and beef, so if those are two ingredients you enjoy, please give this a try! Note: I did adapt this from a core recipe provided in the book 110 Fat Burning Meals by Diana Keuilian. Here it is:
- 1/2 or whole spaghetti squash (I used the whole thing)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 bag of frozen onion bulbs (optional) OR frozen veggies of your choice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- shredded cheese
- pizza toppings (optional) – pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, etc.
- olive oil
1. Cut spaghetti squash in half; remove seeds. Bake at 375 degrees in the oven with the squash side (not shell) down. I typically put about an inch of water in the bottom of the pan, as well.
2. Brown the ground beef with garlic and olive oil in a medium pan.
3. In a bowl, mix the following items: baked spaghetti squash (pull out of shell with fork), marinara sauce, frozen veggies, eggs and ground beef.
4. In a 9 x 12 baking dish, (coat with oil first), pour the contents of the bowl. At 400 degrees, bake for 20 minutes. Pull the dish out, top with shredded cheese and other pizza toppings of choice. Bake for a remaining 10 – 15 minutes. **If you choose to not top it like a pizza, bake the full 35-45 minutes, then top with shredded cheese when you take it out of the oven.**
And there you have it. Approximately 271 calories in 1 serving/piece, based on 8 servings slices.
It’s a filling, healthy and tasty dish. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed!
Enjoy your weekend,