Good Morning! I hope you have enjoyed your 4th of July weekend thus far! This really is an amazing country, and we should certainly celebrate living here. Not sure if you indulged, imbibed or decided to lay low, but I hope it’s been great. I was in charge of a dessert this weekend….and I was so pleased with how easy and healthy it turned out that I just had to share! It’s perfect for the summer!
I would like to note that I purchased 5 pounds of strawberries so that I could test the first batch, as I wanted to substitute truvia for the granulated sugar and also add in a dash of orange extract. That was not what the original recipe called for. To my delight, the truvia worked perfectly in place of the sugar and the orange flavor was perfect:
ORANGE BRANDY STRAWBERRIES
2 pounds strawberries
1/4 cup Truvia natural sweetener
1/3 cup water
1.5 – 2 tablespoons cognac, brandy OR fruited brandy
1/2 tsp orange extract or orange oil
1 tub of Cool Whip
- Cut strawberries into halves and place them in the serving bowl you wish to store them in. I used a tupperware container, as I was taking these on the road with me.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the 1/3 cup of water; add the Truvia and stir until is dissolves.
- Remove saucepan from heat, stir in the brandy and orange extract.
- Pour the brandy syrup over the strawberries in its entirety.
- Top with Cool Whip or make your own whipped topping if you are savvy like that.
That’s all there is to it! I was super pleased at how this added a lil’ zest to the ordinary bowl of strawberries and also sweetened them.
Okay, time for me to go to the gym and get ready for the final beach day of the weekend. Enjoy your day and let me know if you try this recipe out! It’s de-lish!