I’m going to keep it simple-simon — here is a fun, unique recipe that I gave a whirl last week and thought it was super tasty…..and it’s healthy with plenty of leftovers for your meal planning. Enjoy:
Red Cabbage Apple Chicken:
- 4 links of sweet/apple chicken sausage (recommend Applegate)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1.5 – 2 bags of pre-shredded red cabbage OR 1 medium head shredded by hand/food processor
- 2 cups of green apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine (cooking or table wine)
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (my choice: light agave nectar)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- You will need 1 large saute pan with lid.
- If your sausage is not pre-cooked, take the raw sausage out of the casing and break up and begin to cook in the coconut oil in the large saute pan; if your sausage is pre-cooked, simply remove from the casing and chop up into medium sized chunks.
- Place onion and sausage in the coconut oil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring gently.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. You will want the cabbage to be tender, so don’t rush this part.
**I didn’t have any apple cider and made this without it the first time — it was still delicious, so don’t fret if you don’t have that ingredient for this dish.**
That’s all folks — this is a really tasty and unique dish. Highly recommend for those of you who want something with leftovers or feeds a small family. I hope you enjoy!