TGIF! This Friday marks the beginning of a girls weekend, where we will be playing in a beach volleyball 4s tournament, followed by whatever debauchery we choose. I then will continue on the road to work out of state on Monday and Tuesday. When you do the math, that is 4 days of traveling, no kitchen and a whole lot of discipline needed with food choices.
I’m going to approach it with the best possible attitude. I won’t get insane about my choices, but I also am not going way off the ranch. Intermittent Fasting helps in these situations because I am not tempted by hotel breakfast bars and diners. However, planning is still needed — and I am not taking a cooler on this trip. Here are some of the main travel snacks I plan to stock up on:
Snacks (we love to eat in the car):
- Beef or Pork Jerkey (big bags)
- Raw almonds, rationed into snack bags (1/4 cup each)
- Quest Protein bars
- All natural popcorn
- Protein powder and a shaker bottle – when all else fails, you mix with cold water
- Subway 6″ or make it a salad
- Whole Foods (or natural grocery store) hot/cold food bars
- Chinese – STEAMED shrimp, chicken or rice with vegetables
- Restaurants – order fish or chicken with double steamed vegetables as sides
And guess what? I’m probably going to have some Swedish Fish, french fries or sangria somewhere in-between. If I stick to the aforementioned for 80% of my trip’s food intake, then I’ll feel satisfied, not guilty and like I didn’t miss a beat with my diet.
Travel on, my friends. Enjoy life and the food that comes with it — just do it within reason. Have a great weekend!